Tuesday, January 15, 2008

jan 15 LEGS!!

yesterday i trained legs, same as every other monday, but, from now on there is going to be a major change. after discussing things with the iron guru Dave Palumbo, i realize that my legs, all though good, are not ready for the next level yet. my lower body assessment: good front quads, but not enough outer sweep. decent ham development from the side, but not thick enough in the rear. not enough glute development, no where near enough inner thigh thickness, and pretty good calves. Dave's input" i want you starting out every workout with heavy wide stance squats, go nice and deep with controlled form and make this the bread and butter of your workouts." the main issue i have with this is a tricky one. i prefer to train quads and hams in the same day, but, for some reason i can not train hams after quads without getting intense spasms in the belly of my hamstrings! i have talked to experts and even asked doctors, no one has an explanation for this! so, for the past couple of years i have been training hamstrings before quads to avoid the problem.

I entered the gym with my blue print in mind. i warmed up and began my wide stance squats. i have always squatted with a relatively close stance, even in my competitive power lifting days. the wide stance felt very awkward to me. i typically will squat with 405 for plenty of reps, but yesterday i was limited to 275. mastering this new stance may take a few weeks! after i finished my squats, leg extensions, HEAVY hack squats and single leg- leg press i tried to do hams. after my first lite set of lying ham curls my legs started to lock up in the back and i had to call it a day. annoyed, i called Palumbo to give him my story. interestingly enough, Dave said he had the same problem when he was young, what finally helped him was thoroughly stretching out his legs before and after squats and again right before hams. he also suggested i sip on a Gatorade during my workout. next week, i will try again, if i cant go on, i am just gonna have to do hams on a separate day! on a positive note, my legs are way more sore today than usual, so i think the change is going to work well for me!

No comments: